Background story

This is a fundraising blog for Iveth and Joselin Betancour, my former host sisters in the town of La Unión, Nicaragua. Iveth is 24 years old, and Joselin is 22. Over the course of the last nine years, our friends and family members have joined together to raise close to $10,000 to help send Iveth (and now Joselin) to school. Now a student at the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Nicaragua (UNAN), Iveth is working on a social work degree, and Joselin is pursuing a degree in nursing. This is a blog dedicated to helping them achieve their goals.

The background: In the summer of 2001, I spent a summer working with community-based health initiatives in a hurricane resettlement town in rural Nicaragua. During that time, I lived with the family of Marlene and Marvin Cortez-Ramos and their three children, and grew close to all members of the family.

In 2003, I returned twice to visit the ever-expanding Cortez-Ramos family and see the progression of the town. La Unión (so-named because it's a union of politically and geographically disparate hurricane victims) is a town of between 500 and 600 people. In recent years (which were economically bad ones for the country as a whole), many of the men of the town have taken to spending seasons as undocumented agricultural workers in Costa Rica to make ends meet.

Iveth and Joselin are special in a town where few people—and fewer women— attend school past fifth or sixth grade. Their family has emotionally supported their ambitious educational plans but has been unable to provide the financial means to do so.

Over the last few years, our family and friends have contributed to an education fund that enabled Iveth to continue her education. This year we are hoping to raise enough money to help Iveth and Joselin continue their journey.

Public schooling in Nicaragua is actually free of charge, but the daily transportation needs and costs associated with attending school in the city have become too great a burden for their family.

Below you can read her breakdown of costs. Annually, it costs around $1500 to send them to school. Please consider donating to this cause by clicking on the Dwolla donation button.



Saturday, April 18, 2015

Letter from Iveth - 2015


Dear Timo,

How are you? It is a pleasure to know that we can count on your support for another year. Your help has been a great blessing in meeting our goals.  I say “us” because these funds are being used for my three siblings. We are trying to maximize the use we get out of this money in order to realize our dreams. With the funds from last year, I helped my brother Eddinson begin high school, and my sister Joselin will finish her second year of her training as a nurse.  Everything is going excellently and clearly for her. For my part, I am finishing my course of study. Only a little step remains for me until I have my degree in hand!  On the 11th of April I begin a month long course, and then I will take my final exam. 

This year, our brother Olger will join us, also beginning high school.  I understand that you have not committed to help us all, but I ask once again, as I am finishing, that you continue to help us as my siblings are just beginning. The truth is that it is my dream, and the dream of my parents, to see them prepared so that they may have a better life.  As last year, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your generosity.  I can’t estimate the amount we will need, but I would be grateful for whatever you can manage.  Thank you!

With much affection,

Ivett

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hola Timo

Que tal? Es un gusto saber que estaremos contando con su apoyo un año mas. Su ayuda nos ha sido de gran bendición para lograr nuestros propósitos. Hablo de nosotros por que el fondo esta siendo utilizado ya para 3 hermanos. Estamos tratando de maximizar el dinero para cumplir nuestro sueño. Con el fondo del año pasado, ayude a mi hermano Eddinson a iniciar su curso de secundaria, y a mi hermana Joselin que finalizara su segundo año de la carrera de enfermería. Ella va excelentemente bien y claro. Por mi parte, logre finalizar el pen de la carrera. Para mi solo falta un pasito, y estare con mi titulo en mano. Les cuento el 11 de abril empiezo un curso de un mes y luego el examen ya para finalizar con todo.

Este año se nos une Olger, quien apenas empieza su secundaria. Yo entiendo que no es obligación de ustedes en ayudar a todos, pero les pido una vez finalizando yo aun nos apoyen ya que ellos apenas empiezan. La verdad mi sueño al igual que el de mis padres es verlos formado para tener una mejor vida. Agradezco de corazón su generosidad como el año pasado. No estipulare monto estimado estaré agradecida con lo que ustedes puedan aportar. Gracias!

Con mucho cariño,
Ivett

No comments: