Background story

This is a fundraising blog for Iveth and Joselin Betancour, my former host sisters in the town of La Unión, Nicaragua. Iveth is 24 years old, and Joselin is 22. Over the course of the last nine years, our friends and family members have joined together to raise close to $10,000 to help send Iveth (and now Joselin) to school. Now a student at the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Nicaragua (UNAN), Iveth is working on a social work degree, and Joselin is pursuing a degree in nursing. This is a blog dedicated to helping them achieve their goals.

The background: In the summer of 2001, I spent a summer working with community-based health initiatives in a hurricane resettlement town in rural Nicaragua. During that time, I lived with the family of Marlene and Marvin Cortez-Ramos and their three children, and grew close to all members of the family.

In 2003, I returned twice to visit the ever-expanding Cortez-Ramos family and see the progression of the town. La Unión (so-named because it's a union of politically and geographically disparate hurricane victims) is a town of between 500 and 600 people. In recent years (which were economically bad ones for the country as a whole), many of the men of the town have taken to spending seasons as undocumented agricultural workers in Costa Rica to make ends meet.

Iveth and Joselin are special in a town where few people—and fewer women— attend school past fifth or sixth grade. Their family has emotionally supported their ambitious educational plans but has been unable to provide the financial means to do so.

Over the last few years, our family and friends have contributed to an education fund that enabled Iveth to continue her education. This year we are hoping to raise enough money to help Iveth and Joselin continue their journey.

Public schooling in Nicaragua is actually free of charge, but the daily transportation needs and costs associated with attending school in the city have become too great a burden for their family.

Below you can read her breakdown of costs. Annually, it costs around $1500 to send them to school. Please consider donating to this cause by clicking on the Dwolla donation button.



Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Letter from Ivette - 2012

Dear Donors,

It is a pleasure to greet you.  My name is Ivette Johana Betancour Cortez.  I am 20 years old. I am continuing my studies thanks to the support that you and Tim have offered.  I have completed four years in my course of studies in social work, which is a course of study that focuses on social change and problems in human relations.  I feel very fortunate that I have been able to achieve my dream having almost finished my fifth year of studies.  With this accomplishment I will be able to provide for the seven members of my family that live in a rural town, 47 kilometers from the nearest urban area.  I am the oldest of the house.  I have four siblings, all of whom are studying as well.  Joselin is my sister that, at 18, began her own studies at the university [of Leon] just this year.  Eddison is 13 years old, and is in primary school in our home community, in the fourth grade.  Olger is eight years old and in third grade at the same school as Eddinson.  The last is Oliver, who is six year olds and in the first grade.  As you will see, we are too many for the small income of my parents.

My parents have had no academic education of their own to count on.  We have moved slowly ahead solely thanks to agriculture and our in-house business.

The situation in the last few years has turned quite difficult as our needs are great and our income small, and it is for this reason that I appeal for your help.  With the money that you have sent in the last few years, I was able to finish high school, buy a course in computer skills, and assist my sister Joselin with her own studies.  The two of us travel long distances to study.  With the money from last year I bought a mini-computer to save the cost of traveling [to Leon] to do my homework.  Because they don’t give us books, I pay for all of my school materials.  We also have to buy photocopies so that we have the necessary information for the whole year.  I also pay for my ride [to Leon] and food [once there].  Thanks to God, in our university I don’t pay tuition, without which I don’t believe I’d be able to continue my studies.  Also, I helped my sister with the expense of her five years of high school.  Today, in 2012, both of us attend the university as I already mentioned.  She does have to pay for university, which costs 300 córdobas [~$13] every month in addition to her study materials and food.  The two of us study on Saturdays.  We are already four months into classes, and I worry that we can’t continue because of costs continue to rise, and the fees are not adjusted.

We hope to be able to continue with your support this year.

Here I send you the classes that I took last year, and those that I am now taking:

2011
• Introduction to economics
• Social Psychology
• Political Systems
• Personal Formation
• Family Rights
• Project Planning
• Social and Psychiatric Work, Social Work for Anti-Social Behavior
• Practicum II (Social Projects)
• Social Work for Families
• Personal Formation VI
• Politics of Population
• Models of Intervention in Social Work
• English

2012
• Qualitative Investigation
• General and Developmental Study of Population Groups
• Structural Social Change
• Personal Formation VII
• Practicum III (Qualitative Investigation)
• Social Communication
• Qualitative Investigation
• Elective for Student Activities
• Social Pedagogy
• Socio-Educational Practicum IV
• Participation in Investigative Action
• Personal Formation VIII
• Social Movements
• Sociology of Education, educational seminar
• Monograph seminar
• Elective for student activities VIII

Well those are the classes that I am taking.  My plan is to continue studying until I finish my degree.  After leaving university, if God wills it, I hope to get a good job where I can practice my profession and help my family.

Thank you very much, and God bless you all!!!!!

Ivette

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hola queridos donantes  es un placer saludarles  soy Ivette Johana Betancour Cortez  tengo la edad de 20 años  estoy llevando mis estudios gracias al apoyo  que ustedes y timo me han brindado  ya tengo el cuarto año de mi carrera estudio trabajo social que es una carrera que esta enfocada al cambio social  y problemas en las relaciones  humanas yo me siento muy bien  poder lograr mi sueño por que ya casi termino son 5 años de estudios   y asi poderme defender en la vida provengo de una familia de 7 miembros vivo en una zona  rural a 47 km de la zona urbana soy la mayor de la casa tengo  4  hermanos mas, los cuales todos estamos  estudiando  Joselin  es mi hermana de 18 ella empezó  justo este año  la universidad  Eddison  tiene 13 años estudia la  primaria en la comunidad donde vivimos  el esta en 4to grado   , esta Olger  quien tiene 8 años y al igual que Eddinson esta en 3ro de la primaria
 el ultimo es Oliver de 6 años quien esta  en 1ro    como verán  somos demasiados para el poco ingreso que nuestro padres tienen

mis padres no cuentan con ninguna preparación académica hemos salido un poco adelante gracias a la agricultura y negocios en casa

la situación en los últimos años se ah tornado difícil ya que las exigencias son muchas y el ingreso poco es por eso que recurrí a su ayuda  con el dinero que ha sido enviado en los años atrás  pude terminar la secundaria ,saque un curso de computación y ayude a Joselin mi hermana con sus estudios  las dos viajábamos  larga distancia para poder estudiar , con el  dinero del año pasado compre una  minicomputadora para ahorrarme el costo de tener que viajar para hacer mis trabajos   pague toda la papelería por que no nos dan libros  sino que tenemos que comprar las fotocopias para tener la información que se necesita en todo el año ,pague mis pasajes y comida  gracias a Dios en la facultad donde  estoy no pago  la carrera   si no creo  que no hubiese podido continuar   también ayude a mi hermana con los gastos de su promoción de 5to año de la secundaria ,    hoy en este 2012  las dos estamos en la universidad como ya antes lo mensionaba  ella si  tiene que pagar la universidad  son 300 córdobas  cada mes adicional la papelería pasaje y comida  ambas estudiamos los sabados   ya tenemos 4 meses de haber empezado las clases y siento que ya no podemos mas por que los gastos siguen subiendo  y los   ingresos ya no ajustan   ,  esperamos poder     contar con su ayuda este año  

Aqui les envio las clases que recibi el año pasado y las que estare recibiendo  este año

2011
• Introducción  a la economía
• psicología social
• sistemas políticos
• formación personal
• Derecho de  familia
• Planificación de proyectos
• Trabajo social  y psiquiatría,trabajo social comportamiento anti social
• practicas II(proyectos sociales)
• Trabajo social con familia
• Formación personal   VI
• políticas de población
• modelos de intervención de trabajo social
• ingles

2012
• Investigación cualitativa
• Genero y  desarrollo estudio   de grupos de población
• Estructura y cambio social
• Formación personal VII
• Practicas III(investigación cualitativa)
• Comunicación social
• Investigación cuantitativa
• Electiva de actividades estudiantiles
• Pedagogía social
• Practicas IV socio educativas
• Investigación acción participativa
• Formación personal VIII
• Movimientos sociales
• Sociología de educación seminario educativo
• Seminario monográfico
• Electivas de actividades estudiantiles VIII

Bueno estas son las clases que estoy llevando    mis planes es continuar estudiando  hasta finalizar mi carrera luego de salir de la universidad si Dios quiere quiero   encontrar un buen trabajo donde ejercer mi profesión para ayudar a mi familia

Muchísimas gracias y que Dios les bendiga!!!!!

No comments: